TEA logo TEA Website Contact TEA Sign Up For Updates TEA Secure ApplicationsTEAL Login

Request a Name or Date of Birth Change on Your Certification Records

Educators, including paraprofessionals, may need to request updates to their accounts in the Educator Certification Online System (ECOS) in order to access their records to arrange for testing, add or renew certification, or accomplish other tasks.

To submit a change or correction of name, gender or date of birth, please submit the required documents listed below to the TEA Help Desk.

    • Current state driver’s license or state ID (upload attachment at the bottom of the request form)
    • Out-of-Country educators who do not hold a state-issued driver’s license may submit a copy of a current passport (upload attachment at the bottom of the request form)
    • Last four digits of social security number and/or TEA ID number, if known
    • Previous name
    • A current email address and valid daytime phone number


Current processing time is ten business days, once all required documents are received. If you do not receive a notification after 10 business days, please re-send the documents with the following subject: “Second Request - name change.” We appreciate your patience as we process requests during our peak season.

During times of high volume, name changes may take 2 weeks or more to process.

If you have a certification test scheduled, you may need to reschedule your test to allow sufficient time for your name change request to be completed.

Note: You may also take a picture of your driver’s license or state ID and upload the attachment at the bottom of the request form. Make sure the items on the driver’s license are legible. (See examples below.)


As an alternative, you may fax documentation to 512-936-8277

Or Mail to:


5th Floor

1701 North Congress Ave

Austin, TX 78701

You will receive an email response confirming that your documents have been received and then another email notification once the changes have been made to your records.


Additional information is available on our website.

Have more questions? Submit a request